Subject:EU Scholarship Programme for European Interpreter trainees with Chinese Call for applications
As part of the EU Chinese Interpreter Training Programme 2006-2009, the European Commission/DG Interpretation intends to re-launch the scholarship scheme for young Europeans with a thorough knowledge of Chinese for the academic year 2008-9. A small number of scholarships will be available for successful candidates who possess
- a high standard of Chinese (colloquial and formal registers, written and spoken)
- native-speaker level English
- good oral communication skills, indicating an aptitude for interpreting
- good general knowledge and knowledge of current affairs
Scholarships will be awarded for study in China on recognized
professional conference interpreting courses at:
- University of International Business and Economics, Beijing
DG Interpretation cooperates with these institutions and is represented at their graduation exams.
The scholarship will amount to 5.000 over two years to cover travel, course fees and subsistence. Scholar swill undertake to sit an inter-institutional accreditation test to be organised after completion of their studies and, if successful, to give the EU institutions first call upon their services for a period of three years.
In order to apply, candidates should:
-be EU citizens
-hold a university degree or equivalent by the time the course in China starts
-possess native-speaker level English
-possess a comprehensive understanding of Mandarin Chinese (written and oral) across a range of subject areas and registers
-speak fluent Mandarin Chinese across a range of subject areas and registers
-possess a talent for communication
-possess broad general knowledge and good knowledge of current affairs
Candidates fitting the above profile are invited to submit applications in writing, as of 10 December 2007, explaining their interest in the scholarship and enclosing a short CV and relevant documentation attesting, in particular, their language-knowledge and educational achievements, along with any other relevant qualifications and experience, to:
DG Interpretation-China correspondent
Office: C107 3/72
Scanned applications may be sent by e-mail to:
Applications should contain an e-mail address and a daytime telephone number.
The deadline for applications is 17 February, 2008.
Time-table and Selection procedure
- Applications will be screened by a Selection Board comprising EU officials and practising interpreters, assisted by appointed assessors.
- As part of the screening process, applicants may be contacted by telephone
- The Selection Board will inform applicants, by the end of March 2008 at the latest, whether or not they have been short-listed for interview.
- Interviews, incorporating a simple interpreting aptitude-test, some sight translation and EU knowledge questions, shall be held by the Selection Board, assisted by appointed assessors, in principle in the latter part of April, in Brussels and, possibly, in China, depending on the number of applications.
- Upon completion of the interviews, the Board shall draw up a short-list of eligible candidates, in order of merit. Scholarships shall be awarded to candidates on the list, depending on budgetary availability.
- Interviewees will be notified of the outcome by the end of May at the latest, allowing successful candidates to begin training in autumn 2008.
The Selection Board's decision is final. The names of successful candidates and the members of the selection committee shall be posted on the DG Interpretation pages on the Europa website (http://ec.europa.eu/comm/scic/index.htm ).
Please note that:
- DG Interpretation scholars may not benefit at the same time from other bursaries or allowances offered by the European Union.
- Abandoning the course voluntarily may make you liable to repay all or part of the scholarship
- The terms and conditions of payment of the scholarship will be notified to successful candidates in writing.
- Acceptance of the scholarship must be confirmed within two weeks (according to date of postage) ; otherwise the offer will lapse
This is a unique opportunity for suitably qualified and talented students to train as a conference interpreter in China. Our aim is to enhance the stock of qualified European interpreters with Chinese. We await applications with interest.
Queries may be addressed to :